This is a special food edition that could only be possible thanks to the dear friend I was traveling with. The title of this post could easily be “Portraits of the Author with Food” because every single photo that was taken of a snack or meal I had in Korea, featured myself as the focal point.
Enjoy this post featuring food, and me.
- Food I wished I had but didn't: oh so much, soondobu, chijime, more street food, Korean Ice cream
- Food I had but wished I didn't: our first Korean BBQ meal was disappointing, expensive and best unoriginal, like any old place in LA or Japan, nothing that said “oh, I really am in Korea."
- What should have been on the list: more casual, local joints, and places around universities (they are cheaper and better)
- Biggest surprise: street food – I was so pleasantly surprised with the quality and variety
- Most delicious meal: Korean BBQ at a very famous place that I can’t remember the name of and sadly, I may never find again…
Restaurants: caveat, I know none of the restaurant names, since we just happened upon whatever place and decided to eat there.
Bibimbap: a favorite of mine
Korean BBQ - twice!
first time: a touristy and expensive place that was mediocre
second time: an popular and cheap place that was phenomenal
Dokkboki, fish cake, and Kimbap
rom a small joint near the university. We literally pointed to three pictures on the menu outside, and got none of the three items. But what we got was delicious!
a Curly deep friend potato on a giant stick. Fun and delicious
grapes in a sugary glaze
more on my obsession with Korean KFC here
Korea is obsessed with coffee. I wrote an entire post on it here